Saturday, February 27, 2010

the end of the world

I've never really been one of those opinionated political types. Neither have I been very worldly. But this morning I woke up and turned on my computer and my heart grew heavy. On Facebook, I read people arguing on a status update about the racial tensions currently taking place at our school. While I had been partly neutral about it before, after reading the ignorant remarks of the people in support of the racial discrimination under the guise that it was "satire", my mind was settled. I am embarrassed and ashamed for ever even being able to understand the side of the people in support of the "Compton Cookout". As soon as I checked my e-mail, I got a message from the UCSD police department about finding a noose hanging in Geisel Library. Wow. Seriously?! That is disgusting. Who would have the nerve to do that?! What purpose could that possibly serve?! How messed up in the head does someone need to be to do something so outrightly hateful?! I had previously not given this issue too much thought, but this hateful action has really sent me over the edge. My heart is aching. I can't see the other side anymore. I can't see how any act of discrimination or hate could ever bring people together. How it could ever serve a greater purpose.
And then I heard about the earthquake in Chile. To be honest, I had not taken the Haiti earthquake as seriously as I should have. As horrible as it sounds, I could not grasp the sense of devastation and loss having come from such a privileged lifestyle. But reading that the earthquake in Chile was 100 times stronger than the one in Haiti, that really hit me. And genuinely scares me. My friend asked me the other day, "Where do you see God's love in the case of natural disasters?" I responded, "In the coming together of people after, that is where I see God's love." I'm not so sure of my answer anymore. These natural disasters keep getting worse and more frequent. I don't understand what is going on, why this is all happening. I'm so scared. And I'm so sad.

Followers